Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

My New Passion

So, as of yet, I've had no one indicate they are following.  That's okay.  At this point, I just want to write.  And share what's inside of "me."

In the last few years, I've become more and more interested in Essential Oils.  A good friend introduced me to them and sent me a blend she created to help Clayton through some of his anxiety attacks.  Since that time, I've purchased things like Lavender, Tea Tree Oil, Clove oil, Lemongrass, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, and little vials to put my blends in.  When Alivia was a newborn and I needed baby Vicks for her, I used the store-bought brand.  She *hated* it! Cried!  When I would put Lavender in her bathwater, she would scream.  Same thing when we used the Lavender lotion after her bath.  So we discovered that she was insensitive to the Lavender...thus, I couldn't use the store-bought version of baby Vicks.  So I had to come up with my own...I used coconut oil and eucalyptus oil and put it in a little container.  Worked very well!

Now, several years have passed.  I have used Tea Tree Oil (TTO) on my pimples and it really makes a difference in their severity.  We've also used an oil from Young Living called Thieves...a moderately expensive oil blend, but it works! {Interestingly, there is a recipe to create this using other oils!}  Clayton always gets "barky" when he gets remotely sick (even something as simple as allergies) and I can put the Thieves on his chest (about 4 drops) and it calms his breathing.  A-Mazing!

Well, this same friend from above has recently introduced me to doTERRA International...  The thing that got me most about these oils is they are certified to be safe to take internally!!  I signed up, got my kit and have been messing around with it all week.  I hope to be able to post my progress here and toss examples out there for anyone wanting to know.

Another thing I'm VERY interested in...kinda goes hand-in-hand with EO's...is making my own hand lotion and hand soap.  I've been doing some research on purchasing beeswax (suggestions on where to buy a good quality product??) and I hope to start that over the summer.  I have seen some great recipes for using EO's to make scented gels (think of those Renuzit cones, only these would be in small jars) and also for making candles.  The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi Amanda, I'm reading :)

The lavender - we were told recently not to use anything with lavender, specifically the night time bath wash, because it's very hard on babies skins. You might be able to us lavender now that she's older. ~shrug.