Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Blood work

Over the past few weeks, we've been noticing that C has been really tired all the time. He's been falling asleep in the early evening and just gets tired really easy. We have tried getting him more sleep and rest, but it still seems to be an issue. We thought maybe we'd have him tested again for anemia. I knew it would be an issue with him so we didn't tell him until this morning. What a tense morning! He fretted all morning about it, especially cuz I kept telling him to go drink water (to help hydrate his veins and make it easier). Well, we got there (terry was with us) and B and I waited in the waiting room. C and Terry went in to the lab area. As soon as they started, I could hear C screaming and crying. I was so upset. I tried to get in the door and they had it locked!!! So I waited by the door until he calmed down a bit and then knocked on the door. The tech that let me in told me the flow stopped and they'd have to go again on the other arm to get it all.

Well, before we had gotten there this morning, C told me he didn't want to lay down on their bed so I told him we'd see if he could sit up. Well, for the first part they did it sitting up. But for the second stick they were gonna have to have him lay down. His little face was so pitiful....he just cried the entire time we pushed him to a laying-down position on the bed. He screamed bloody-murder the moment they put the rubber tourniquet on his arm. And then screamed more when they actually stuck him. They were able to get the blood they needed, but by then I was crying too. C was practically hysterical and actually told the lady he didn't like her! LOL (I know, not nice, but can you blame him??)

After that, we went and ate lunch and C got to pick the place (Chinese, of course!). While there, I asked Terry if it bothered him as much as it did me? and he said, yes. He's just able to hide it better than me. I can handle the blood, the needle, and all that. I just can't handle the helpless feeling I get when I can't help my baby. I have to make him stay there and practically be tortured by those needles. I know it is for his own health and good, but it still breaks me every time we have to do this. :( I told Terry that if the results of these tests require more tests, I will ask them to give us a sedative or relaxer or something to help calm C's nerves before hand. There is no reason to have to put a child through that. (He's even a hard enough stick that the girls at Children's hospital in St. Louis had a hard time getting blood from him 2 years ago.)

Hopefully we'll get the results in a day or so. One of the tests had to be sent off, so it could take a couple days. I hate the waiting! :)

No comments: