Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Caterpillar update

Well, I was wrong a bit....they are swallowtail caterpillars, not swordtail. Ooops! LOL

But we now have 3 chrysalis's! :) I'm so excited....one of them went up the side of the container and did it's thing and became a green chrysalis. Then we had 2 more that went up on the stick that we put in there. For one day (yesterday) they 'hung back' by attaching their lower feet and creating a 'girdle' to hang with. They spent that day and then yesterday evening they were still looking like the caterpillar. No biggie. But, within about 4 hours (by bedtime last night), one of them had transformed into its chrysalis (green) and then by this morning the other one was a chrysalis (brown). I was a bit confused by the difference in color of the chrysalis, so I did some looking. Here is what I found:

There seems to be a bit of a difference in the look of the resulting butterfly, but I don't know that for sure. hehe

From what I have learned online, we have a couple of weeks for them to be like this and then their chrysalis will become transparent and they will emerge the within the next 24 hours. So, we shall see! :)


No comments: