Pages

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Last Weekend happenings

This past weekend in Salem, the kids were out playing ball with Terry when they came to get me. They found this bug (below) and we have NO idea what kind of bug it is. I hope the picture is clear enough, but I will give some descriptions, just in case. If you know what this bug is PLEASE let me know! LOL

It has a regular bug like body, and six legs. However, the top of it has hard-like wings, like a beetle. Now, the 'hump' you see looks almost like a triceratops little flat part behind their head, but turned sideways. Then he has these two LONG antennae, a really long head/nose (who 'nose' what it is! LOL) and a red straw looking thing going from his head (?) to the ground. REALLY strange looking. It looks like a type of beetle, but I couldn't find anything online that resembled it! Help!

Also, over the weekend, Darlene gave us a big bag of fresh apples from her trees. We finally got them processed last night after church. We peeled, cored, and sliced them (all by hand, since we didn't know where our handy counter-clamping thing is!). We finished about 11 o'clock and I just put them all in 2 big bowls with a bunch of water. I covered them with plastic wrap and sorta pushed the plastic down till it touched the apples, to minimize air contact. (Smart, huh??) Well, today, I decided to make applesauce out of one bowl and we'll use the other bowl to make some apple crisp for Clayton's birthday tonight.

Applesauce....YUM! I rinsed the apples and put them in a big pot of water, brought it to a boil and let it boil for about an hour. Oh, about half way through the boiling process, I sprinkled in a bunch of cinnamon. Then I drained them, put them back in the pan with some brown sugar and used a potatoe masher on them. Well, I quickly saw that this wasn't going to get it as smooth as I wanted it to be...so I got out the food processor and just whipped them up! I added a bit more brown sugar and cinnamon and had the kids come in and taste...they LOVED it! :) So now it is cooling in a bowl so I can refrigerate it... I thought I would have enough for freezing some of the applesauce, cuz I had so many apples. But it is amazing how much they cook down! Oh well, we'll have applesauce for...uh, maybe 24 hours! LOL

Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

JeremyNSunny said...

Nasty bugy. Curious bug. Let us know what you learn. Never seen anything like it. It's otherworldly.

Applesauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sniff) I miss homemade applesauce. Warm, homemade applesauce is one of my all-time favorite foods. We've not had our hands on that amount of apples for ... a long time. Three years now. I guess it's not too late yet, it's just ... when I look at the schedule for this month I'm not sure when I can fit it in! argh!!

Clayton's birthday looks like it was great. :) What memories....

Anonymous said...

The bug looks like the Assasin Bug. It is sometimes called the Wheel bug as well. I am enclosing a link to a clearer picture I found:

http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues/2004-08-27/mimsci/art/Mims_Assasin%20bug_Dscn5674.jpg