Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

"That's not cornbread!"

The other night, I attempted to make (again!) ham and beans. For some who know, this has been a many-year-long process for me to learn how to make ham and beans....cuz, they either end up a complete mushy mess or they end up fine on the outside and still hard and crunchy on the inside. *sigh* So, after soliciting the help of some online friends (thanks to Sunny and Sis and others!), I think I have figured out a way to do this! First I soaked the beans for about 3-4 hours in regular water, then rinsed them, and put them in a pot with water and brought them to a boil. I continued to cook them in the same way that I have always cooked them, and they were GREAT! :)











Well, I made some cornbread to go with it, and was busy when I started to smell it so I asked T to check on it for me. Brent jumped up and went to open the oven door....he shouts: "That's NOT cornbread!" I just figured he was thinking it wasn't brown around the edges and looked funny. Terry looked at it and said there were bubbles on the top....I told him it is sorta like pancakes where the bubbles come to the top and pop as it's cooking. He said, "Well, maybe so, but I've never seen bubbles like this!" So I finished what I was doing and went to check....

I have never seen cornbread do this before, so I had to take these pics! LOL I had mountains in my cornbread!!!

Well, I was going over the way I made it in my head after that and realized I forgot to put baking powder OR salt in the recipe! DOH!! So, we have truly unleavened cornbread Saturday night for dinner! :)

Just goes to show that the baking powder really does make a difference!

2 comments:

marshawesttx said...

That cornbread looks funny but I bet it was still good. Your son with the bump looks like what my nephew (my sister Christine's son)did at that age. He is now 16 years old.

I'm glad you commented on my blog so now we can email each other.
Aren't boys fun??

It is great to see your blog. Your family look like a lot of fun. Hope we can stay in touch. I got your dad's email this morning and was excited that he wrote me back.

God Bless and I will try to keep in touch with you.
Cuz, Marsha

JeremyNSunny said...

Hey, congrats on the ham & beans!! Hooray!!!!! Jeremy's not a huge fan of beans, but with ham in it I bet he'd let us try it at least once; will you please e-mail me your 'recipe'/instructions??? Thanks!!

Hilarious cornbread! My grandma would NOT approve. LOL!